Monday, November 10, 2008

I renounce my hatred of the southern accent.....I am reformed!

I had a bad experience with the south. It took me 10 min. at a TN gas station to get a slurpee.....long story short I got my slurpee, but ended up hating the way that guy took FOREVER to tell me that he was going to the back to get more money and would be "riiiiiiight back in just a second". Ten minuets later I was out of the store with my deteriorating slurpee and an aggrivated mood, vowing that the south and their accent drove me crazy.

I have since hated the way the southern person talked, what with their drawl and slow delivery of the things they have to say.


NOW.....

I have recently learned that I was hating the WRONG accent..........

yup, imagine that!

I now am only annoyed by that twang that follows with ignorance and useless babbling of the PO-DUNK southern yuk-yuk. Spoken correctly it calms and melts the soul. I will explain in Breif:

The southern accent is different from the PO-DUNK one. HOW do I know this now and not before you ask? Well, after being spoken to by a true southern "belle" as you would call her, in her full blown southern comfort voice, I melted. Yup, got the northern boy all mushy on the damn floor. I know, I know. But to hear the voice in its true and unmolested form was mind-blowingly awesome. The way in which the words were spoken and HOW they were spoken got me. Bam, instantly had me captivated.

I'll never forget that. Congrats to you, miss unknown to others, you just gave me my respect back for the TRUE southern way of speaking. Ah, I will wait with baited breath to hear that again.

1 comment:

Rebekka said...

I have been told that I myself have had this affect on some.....and that I possess this attribute of "southern belle-ness" although I have never actually beheld the melting affect in person, I can say that I'd like to experience it at least once !! Enjoyed reading your postings, very much !